Acorns is subject to regulatory oversight by FINRA, the SEC, and the IRS. We are required to gather personal information from customers in order to abide by the rules and regulations put forth by these organizations.
Additionally, the Patriot Act requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account. We also require your social security number in order to issue you a tax reporting form at the end of the year.
Acorns also features:
- SSL Encryption: The website and app are secured with 256-bit encryption
- SIPC Protected Accounts: Every Acorns account is protected up to $500,000
- Account Alerts: We will contact you about unusual account activity for protection against fraud
- Bank-level Security: Secure servers, security and privacy verified by the top digital security and privacy companies, and physical security
- Account Safeguards: Multi-factor authentication, automatic logouts, and ID verification help prevent unauthorized access
Your account security is our top priority at Acorns. If you see any transactions that you do not recognize, be sure to first check if there is an automatic transfer set up on your account. For more information regarding your recent account activity, please click here.