In order to deposit a check in the Acorns app, please follow the steps below:
Log in on your mobile app
Tap “Bank smarter”
Tap "Deposit Check" and follow the prompts
You will be prompted to take a picture of both the front and back of the check and will be asked to enter the dollar amount. You will be able to deposit up to 3 checks per business day. (See a full list of limits here.)
If you deposit a check by 2:00pm PST, Monday through Friday, the funds will be available in your Acorns Checking account by the next business day. If you deposit a check on Saturday, Sunday, or a holiday, funds will process on the next business day and be available the following business day.
Please keep in mind that mobile check deposit may not be available until your Acorns debit card has been activated for 15 days; or if you recently updated your primary checking account. You will need to ensure that your primary checking account has been verified and that you have successfully initiated one deposit into either your Invest or Acorns Checking account if it was recently updated.
This is a standard security measure to help protect your account, protect your financial assets, and ensure that you, and only you, received your Acorns debit card. After 15 days, any on-screen messages will disappear and you will be able to use the mobile check deposit feature.
Please keep the following checklist in mind when using our mobile check deposit feature.
- Confirm the date, it has to be valid (cannot deposit a check that is dated for the future)
- The check must be made out to the Acorns Checking account holder's name (you cannot deposit a check to your account that is made out to someone else)
- When taking an image of the front of the check, it works best when you're in a well-lit area and put the check against a dark/contrasting background
- You must sign the back of the check
- Make sure "For mobile deposit only into Acorns" is clearly written underneath the signature
- Confirm the amount and pictures of the check prior to depositing to ensure everything is correct
Important Note: Once you submit a mobile check deposit, it cannot be canceled. After you have written "For mobile deposit only into Acorns," it more than likely will not be accepted at any other financial institution.
Please contact Support, if you experience any issues.